from the new-lines-are-nice dept.
So the Dev Team has been hard at work fixing up issues with with the 17_02 release. We compiled all of your comments from the 17_02 Meta stories into a large bug and feature request list. We have been working on getting these issues fixed as soon as we can.
You may have noticed some changes over the last week that went out to fix some issues, and we just released some more fixes today.
Here is a list of the major fixes since the last story:
- Comment titles now act to trigger actions as well as the buttons.
- New icons for the buttons that are bigger and spaced out a bit more.
- Removed extra spacing for some of the modes when buttons are hidden. (Still needs some more work, but much better than before.)
- Changed how we set states for hidden threads so that the individual comments are not set hidden as well. This will lessen the number of clicks needed to open a comment in this case.
- Flat comment mode will now show a comment's children when look at comment (cid is set).
- Temp fix for Content Security Policy eating CSS when not on https://soylentnews.org.
- Domain Tags now show in comments.
- Fixed broken messages when looking at them from messages.pl.
- Fixed for @user: shortcut links that would eat a character after the ":".
So if you see any new bugs that you think are related to these changes, or just want to let us know about an ongoing issue, please feel free to comment below.
Here are the currently known bugs that we are working on:
- There are still features of the old "Nested" display mode that are not reproduced in the new "Threaded-TOS" / "Threaded-TNG" display modes.
- Issues with Expand/Collapse comment tree versus Hide/Show comment tree.
- We are aware of issues with our (stricter) Comment Security Policy (CSP) support; especially accessing the site from TOR/Onion and from the deprecated https://www.soylentnews.org/ URL — one should use: https://soylentnews.org/ instead, but we are still trying to handle that automatically.
- Pagination and Redirects; there are known issues with implementation of the "&page=" parameter in the URL, especially when "&cid=" is also specified. For example, I have my page size set to 20 comments, someone else has the default of 100 comments, and I refer to a comment on my page 4, which is still on page 1 for the other person.
- In URLs, we currently use "&noupdate=" to toggle when the "*NEW*" flag and comment dimming take effect. has nock-on side effects that were not anticipated. Are planning to change to the reverse sense: "&update=", instead.
- Lost functionality during upgrade: Sort order by comment score.
- User Journal link missing in details bar
- Pick sane default for AC mode and for Threshold/Breakthrough
- Some people are still having issues with previously-seen comments' dimming. Not so much that they are dimmed, but in how they are dimmed. Maybe dim the only the title? Maybe change the color?
- Spoiler tag needs to be triggered by text.
- Buttons on phones might still be too small since mobile browsers like to resize the text larger making everything else too small
- bug chrome/android phone when previewing comment messes up text size in edit box -- actually, slashboxes on RHS disappear after submitting comment or performing comment moderation. Resulting display area is much wider, so displayed font size is reduceed by approximately 40%.
- Possibly add date and time to collapsed comment title.
And here are the feature requests:
- Create moderation feeback as a modal dialog box via CSS (med term project).
- <code> tag support and styling.
- Edit after post (with limits).
- Markdown support for comments. (long term project)
- Button to reset all comments to unread (should be a quickie).
- New tags should not display for the first time a story is shown (may be a complicated issue to resolve).